Thread: ot - card store
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2014, 07:53 AM
Dav1d Sh1p$ey

My favorite card store in the late 80's was the Baseball Card Collectors Exchange in Hicksville NY. I would stop in when I got my paycheck every Friday to make payments on a card I had on layaway and talk cards with the owner Bob. He closed the shop many years ago and moved to Arizona. Sad day for me when he closed his shop. I heard from a fellow member he passed a few years back. He was a good guy and taught me a lot about the hobby.

His shop had awesome material. A couple years before I started visiting his shop, he sold the Mastro Wagner. Not to hijack this thread, but the Mastro/Gretzky Wagner was never on an uncut sheet according to Bob. It came from a flea market in Florida. Bob's father called him on the phone to tell him he found a box of colorful cards with players like Cy Young and Ty Cobb. Bob told his dad, "I have no idea what you have, but buy it, bring it home, and we will figure it out". Well it was a box of T206 and I believe some T205 and it contained the most famous card in the world-- the Mastro Wagner.

Last edited by slipk1068; 12-06-2014 at 07:58 AM. Reason: typo