View Single Post
Old 02-11-2018, 07:46 PM

Nick, I came back on and read your question regarding 1900-1940s. The two sets that came to my mind before reading the other posts after mine were also the 1933 DeLong, and if you want 1910 era, the 1910 Washington Times. Be forewarned, the Washington Times are deadly rare, and very expensive. Not for the casual deep pockets, but only for the well-fixed collecting warrior. We have someone on here that discovered them, and has been hunting them down card by card. The Ty Cobb is a priceless gem, one of Ty's most beautiful cards.

Back to the DeLong. The set has but 24, but there's a preponderance of great stars. They are beautiful all day long! The DeLongs was the first set collected by pioneer collector Lionel Carter, who found them very enchanting when he bought and collected them in their year of issue, 1933. His favorite card was that of Pepper Martin. The design of Pepper, known as The Wild Horse of the Osage, was pure genius. He drove the A's nuts with his base-running in the 1931 World Series, and his DeLong card has him sliding home in a spectacular horizontal pose.

Perfection.

The cards are kinda thin, but in a PSA / SGC holder, they are resplendent and hefty in the hand.

Gotta go spend time with my family, bro.

Bye. ----Brian Powell