View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
+1. I don't have a problem with athletes refusing to sign (I don't necessarily GET it sometimes, but that's different) but don't say you don't sign because of some weird moral high ground and then waiver when a large sum of money is thrown in your face. I understand the check Bill stroked to Marshall for the first signing would have made a nice down payment on a new house.
My understanding that he used the money to expand his facility and use it for his center. Which he holds as paramount, his mission. I don't see a major moral ambiguity. I'm pretty sure he can give a whit about his autograph value.

Jim, any recollection what his fee was? How many items signed? In other words, if he took his time and signed 100 /hr, did you guys break even?

When I played against him (almost 20 years ago) in a men's league, he would only pitch, never bat. He would write down every pitch (or sequence) at the end of an inning in a notebook. No one ever talked to him during the game. If you got a hit, he was annoyed. He seemed to approach the game as a puzzle that needed to be solved. Most times he left as soon as he was finished pitching for the game. If he stayed, he would discuss the game, at bats you had, and general theory. But if anyone asked about or mentioned his MLB career he would brush it off (Yeah, those were the days") If someone didn't get it and pressed on....icy stare or blank silence.

Something I'll never forget: One of my younger teamates hit a homerun off of him. We convinced him to ask for Mike to autograph it. He just looked over at us, gave a disgusted look, and simply said. "Not today".We were laughing so hard it hurt. I must say he was never rude, just businesslike.

*Just read that SI article. WOW. 20 years before my story. 40 years of consistency in philosophy.

Last edited by Deertick; 12-07-2012 at 05:49 PM.