View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgo71 View Post
I don't think Marshall cares about the value of his signature either, but what he used the money for doesn't change the fact that he did indeed sell out on his core values. His stance was always that signing autographs (or any fan interaction for that matter) perpetuated what he saw as social "shortcomings."

Marshall relented on his self-imposed policy for a price, and to imply that it's OK because the money went to a good cause negates the hypocrisy of his actions. At the end of the day, he had a price and that price was enough to get him to do something that he clearly looked at as trivial and wrong.

I'm not claiming to even begin to know what goes on in the mind of someone as cerebral as Marshall, but I see his actions as hypocritical and at the end of the day it's just my opinion of what he did. IMO, if he wanted money to pour into his facility, I'm sure there are other ways that a man of his obvious intelligence could have gone about getting it.

of course its hypocritical, he lectured people on their misguidance in asking a ballplayer for his autograph, chided them. then he takes the money and signs.

but it is what it is. bill russel didnt sign until he saw his friends make a boatload of money. others wont sign for various reasons. try getting a alfredo evangelista boxing autograph. it takes years if you can pry one from him at all. but ali signed all day in the streets for free.