Thread: L1 Leathers
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2007, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Default L1 Leathers

Posted By: Zach Rice

The gift slips, which can be seen in the above display, were the coupons used for obtaining the leathers, silks, and cabinet cards.

Baseball were not the only subjects available; famous generals, Indians, college mascots, Hamilton Girls, etc. were all available in all three formats.

I can't recall the exact numbers off the top of my head, but the more coupons or slips you turned in, the better the material you could get your selected image on. Something like 15 slips would allow you to get the image on a cardboard mount, 20 got your image on a silk, and something like 35 slips would allow you to get your requested image on leather.

Even more esoteric than the normal sized leathers were leathers that could be obtained by mailing in 245 (I think) coupons. These leathers are multiple times the size of a normal L1 and only a handful are known. Unfortunately baseball subjects are impossible in this format as only a small number of the available subjects mentioned above were available in this size. I've seen three Indian chiefs and one war general in this format.