View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 06:14 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
A team will do it but I don't think it's a great idea if you're not already a winner. Chris Carter isn't going to turn a team around, even if his name is Bryce Harper and he plays better defense.
I'm not saying I want my team to sign him, but his flaws seem super obvious now since he's slumping. I don't think his market will be limited to one team, but a bunch will see the upside: if Chris Carter is his FLOOR, plus he's going to bounce back from this season, plus there's room for him to improve because he's so young, there's a big contract out there for him.
I think wins (via WAR) are costing roughly $8 million in free agency at this point. Maybe Boras will pursue a short-term or opt-out laden deal, but if they are gunning for $400 mil, a 10-year deal at $40 mil a year would be an expectation of about 5 wins per year. I think he's at 1 win so far this year, even slumping he'll likely hit 2 wins. With his pedigree (super prospect, MVP, etc.) and the other factors (age, teams flush with money, etc.), even after this season a $400 million contract isn't off the table, I don't think. I think it wouldn't be tough for a team to argue that 5 WAR a season out of Harper is a reasonable expectation.
I just don't want my favorite team doing it (and they won't)...