View Single Post
Old 12-25-2017, 10:02 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Jeff which was the toughest 1894 Mayos or 1926 Spalding?
A great question, Mike. These two sets are the most difficult to complete in the run.

From a pure scarcity perspective, Spalding is hands down the most difficult set to complete in the run. Nine of the fifteen cards in the set (I'm including the Grange promo card in here) have a total known population of less than 10 cards. This includes both graded cards in the population report as well as the raw ones I'm aware of that pre-war collectors have. I've been able to catalog a total of only 135 of these cards I know exist. That is sick!

By comparison, there are 16 Mayo Dunlop cards in the population report. From a cost perspective, Mayo is more difficult. The set is more than twice as big as the Spalding set and the Dunlop is very expensive ... going for between $6K - $12K for a low grade example (which most are). There are a few other that are hard to get under $1K too (like Hinkey and Poe). Of course you can always purchase one raw off ebay that somebody found in their grandpa's attic for much less

jeff