View Single Post
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
In tracking my sales over the years I never felt that any quality vintage cards in SGC holders performed any worse than those graded by PSA, and in fact whenever I achieved a really crazy price in one of my auctions, more often than not it was an SGC card.

It's too simplistic to say PSA cards sell for more than SGC's. In the set registry area they generally do. PSA has that market. They also seem to have the bigger share of the postwar market. But when you're talking about a scarce or rare vintage card in mid-grade, say Good to Excellent, the SGC cards are usually more accurately graded and hold their own comparatively well.

Both companies make grading mistakes but SGC makes fewer, and I think most collectors realize that. And that counts for something.

Barry I agree with everything you say. But even if SGC makes fewer mistakes, is that because they are focused on vintage as opposed to focusing on a wide variety of items like PSA does? Again, no disrespect to SGC I love their holders a lot more. I just feel that PSA might make more mistakes because they either deal with a wider range of cards or just a higher volume in general.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums