View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 10:19 PM
+0m J()rd@N

I agree completely. And I am a lifelong Cincinnati Reds fan. Pete even had a (slight) chance for redemption and he blew it. He continued to lie - to his biographer, to the commissioner, to the public - about the depths of his involvement with organized gambling.

Both are tragic figures and I even feel a bit of empathy for Joe. Pete, however, was the architect of his own undoing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
All major league baseball club houses have a sign posted stating the rules of conduct.

Rule 21(d):

BETTING ON BALL GAMES. Any player, umpire, or club official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has no duty to perform shall be declared ineligible for one year.

Any player, umpire, or club or league official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform shall be declared permanently ineligible.

It says permanently.

If Pete Rose was given a pass - added to his stats on his HOF plaque would be: As manager, guilty of betting on baseball games from the dugout during ball games.

On Jackson's plaque: Joe Jackson: Guilty of being a willing member of a conspiracy to fix World Series baseball games.

Honor with dishonor - contradictory - incompatible.
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)