View Single Post
Old 12-27-2017, 03:22 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default T218 Orange Background misprint - well, mostly Orange

Here's the card: https://imgur.com/a/ztoCw

Orange background printing ‘errors’ are not truly rare on the whole in the ATC sets and I have seen quite a few of them in T206. This one seems to be a little bit different. Most of the background is clearly orange, the red in his skin a bit lighter than normal, and the rest of the card is no lighter than any other Jimmy Gardner. What is notable, I think, is the three small splotches of full red on the card. I can’t recall seeing a partial orange background before. In the top left and top right corners there is an ‘L” shaped red section, and another smaller splotch of red next to the bucket in the bottom right. I’m not sure how to explain this. I’ve always heard the orange defects attributed to the red ink running low during printing, and agreed with it as the clear explanation for these.

I’m not sure that’s what happened here though because some of the card maintains a full red. Looking closely at the white border areas adjacent the red splotches, there is no hint of discoloration or color change. Thus, I’m pretty confident its not fading from exposure or something similar caused by these areas of the card being covered or protected while the rest of it was exposed and faded.

Any ideas? Anyone seem a similar “99% Orange” background error from this issue or another ATC set? Or got some cool T218 oddities to show?