View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I did not insult anyone and I resent your saying that. It was an honest question.
Yeah, I re-read it and Mark17 didn't assume anything, that was read into his text; all he did was ask a hypothetical.

And although I don't really want to weigh in on the religious thing, as perhaps one of the few if not only readers of this forum with a doctorate in religious studies, I guess I can't help myself.

So on that point I'll comment that you're both probably incorrect on the spiritual front, in that I find it perfectly reasonable for either a fan or perhaps even more especially a professional/teammate to resent a player that was derelict in carrying out an otherwise contractually agreed duty due to indulging the hindrances of ultimately arbitrary accidents of religious ordinances on a calendar.

That is perhaps how someone that is not a 'person of faith' (however we each take that to mean) could see it, and the reality is that there's no one on earth qualified to judge against that view, as if not being a 'person of faith' somehow defines their thoughts/feelings/joys in life as less than.

I agree that some things transcend a ballgame, but I'm less sure that routine capitulation to a calendar qualifies as transcendent.