View Single Post
Old 05-03-2019, 01:32 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschock View Post
I would turn the question around. What defines those grading cards at PSA or any TPG as "professional graders"? Do they have special skills or training? Are they certified somehow? I'm truly not trying to be argumentative, just curious.

I could easily counter that someone who has been collecting for 30 years could be more qualified as a "professional grader" than say any random grader working at a TPG. I'm not saying they are or aren't (or that the OP has 30 years in collecting), but just curious as to what the point is in that question. It's not even relevant to what the OP discovered.
Taylor, I absolutely agree with you. I think many individuals here have enough "hobby experience" that's makes them way more qualified to render an opinion than any "professional grader." And I guess that is my point. Why do people keep trusting these TPGs rather than the experience of a seasoned collector/dealer? It's obvious that the OP wanted NM 1956 Topps cards. Are there not enough trustworthy sellers on eBay that you could buy either card raw in the same NM condition from a reputable seller and save hundreds of dollars? Sure there are. Or maybe even at a local shop or show? So why do people keep putting their faith in the TPGs rather than a reputable collector/dealer? At least the OP looked at the cards for himself. How many buyers get those same 2 cards and not even look at them, just put them in a box or in their safe and feel all warm and fuzzy thinking they bought a NM card? Many! It goes back to my point. I'll assume the OP is your "average collector." So if an average collector can look at that card and see pin holes, why can't the TPGs? Yet people keep drinking the Kool-Aid trusting in some flip because some TPG said it was so.

I don't really consider myself an autograph collector, but the autograph side of this board is much different than the card side. There are enough autograph experts on here that the autograph collectors know they can ask an opinion of authenticity and that opinion is worth way more than any TPAs (and they don't have to pay an authentication fee). So why isn't the card side the same? I could list several names on here that I would trust for an autograph authenticity opinion, and that opinion would carry much more weight with me rather than PSA/DNA, BSA, SGC or whoever. But who are the names on here we can trust for card grade opinions more than the TPGs? Card collectors want to see that grade on the flip. Autograph collectors just want to know their item is authentic. I used the autograph guys were a bit odd, but now I understand them more and more.