View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
I have a feeling that the prices are completely nuts and won't last. Not long term anyway. I am dubious of younger fans collecting the pre-80's and pre-war guys as hard as we do and thus I think in 15-20 years we will look back and laugh at how a jersey that went for $500k in 2016 is now selling for $25k.

but I could be wrong, I thought the Red Sox would go to the world series
I hate to say it, but I was actually thinking the same thing. I just don't see how this market can sustain its current prices, let alone increase.

Are there any guys you believe may be able to transcend this and remain sought after far into the future? In my personal opinion, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe Dimaggio and Jackie Robinson are the first 4 that come to mind as far as guys who will most likely always be collected.

Ruth simply because he's Babe Ruth and was the face of the roaring 20's, Gehrig because he was the second most beloved Yankee of all time after Ruth and his immortal Luckiest Man speech that will live on forever, Dimaggio because of his connection to Marilyn Monroe and pop culture in general, and Robinson because he broke the color barrier.

Other than them, I find it rather hard to think of other names that will truly be collected forever.

Last edited by Wolverine; 10-11-2016 at 04:53 PM.