View Single Post
Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Mike P.ap

Default No way

Ben,

PSA and SGC will not even slab these anymore (Jordan Star #101). The only recent verified sales are BGS.

The fact that 2 of the top 3 TPGs will not touch these cards in my opinion does not make it a great investment nor does it convey a sense of "authenticity" for the majority of these cards that are out there.

If this card was accepted by all 3 TPGs then it might have a shot at stardom but with PSA and SGC saying "no", then what message does that send to the market?

I admit that a BGS 9 recently sold for $7500 or so but if this card was so rare and incredibly valuable how do you explain that it ONLY sold for about 2.5X what a PSA 9 1986 Fleer Jordan goes for? There are THOUSANDS of PSA 9 Fleer Jordans so that BGS 9 #101 should have sold for many multiples of the Fleer Jordan if it was so rare and collectible. The fact that it "only" sold for 2.5X the PSA 9 Fleer Jordan RC tells me that there were 2 bidders out there that were maybe not so convinced of the rarity or future of that card.

IMO 1948 Bowman Mikan is "THE CARD". I actually feel that another card from that iconic set should be mentioned and that is the Card #1 Ernie Calverley as it is the first hoops card EVER that was issued in a strictly all hoops set. He was also a standout NCAA player.

Peace, Mike

PS 1 Of course, I know there are Authentic Star cards out there and most reside in BGS holders BUT once again, the fact that PSA and SGC will not slab these anymore hurts the perception of these cards in my opinion.

PS 2 This is my card from that 1948 Bowman iconic set (Card #1) and there are only 4 in a higher grade.

002.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 04-18-2015 at 09:55 PM.