View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 09:02 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Default Wildfire? Average?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
Yes, of course, the 5 figures seems more appropriate to a minor Hall of Famer. Or am I way off about the market?

All it takes are 2-3 guys bidding against each other. I mean I can possibly see $1000, maybe $1500 if a couple of guys are going at it. Absolutely no more than that. I dropped out at $2200 and that was insane itself. I probably have 25-30 bats. Some (Dolly Stark and Roy Brashear) I got at auction for $100-$150 3 years ago. But $13,200 for an average player is absurd.
Average player! Wildfire Schulte is much more famous that Dolly Starke. Best evidence: he has 2 poses in the t206 set. And he had a 23.7 lifetime WAR. Besides that, he was the with the Cubs from 04 until 15---and he was a top outfielder when the Cubs were awesome. I thought about bidding on it, but I figured it would cost 3-5K because the center brand, side writing, and the vault number put the bat in his hands during the prime of his MLB career. Yes, 13K seems way too high. But as I learned from the Christie's auction, that won't get you a Fred Merkle bat. Anyway, I think there is also insanity in selling the Stark and Brashear bats so cheaply. I'm glad that you benefited from that.