View Single Post
Old 02-27-2016, 12:00 PM
Todd

Default Ebay Issues

Not trying to hijack the thread - but I have a similar issue, though I am the seller.

I recently sold a $200+ modern hockey card. I advertised the card as NM-MT. Two weeks after the auction, the buyer paid and I shipped it out. (I'm patient, I guess.) The card was placed in a penny sleeve, top loader (with small piece of tape w/removable tab on top) - then placed in a team set bag. Card was sandwiched between 2 thick pieces of cardboard and taped. Then - it was placed between 4 more layers of thick cardboard (two on each side) then taped up in a weather resistant bubble mailer.

The item was marked as received/delivered on the 20th. 2-3 days later, the buyer points out a surface imperfection (indentation.) I told him I didn't catch it when I inspected it, nor could I see it in the high res scan I provided in the auction. Immediately, I offered a full refund upon return of the card. I don't want any unhappy customers.

He declined - and said he just wanted to let me know. He said the card was nice and wanted to keep it. ...I though it was over.

Then, last night - his tone had changed. He questioned my storage process (card has been in a top loader, top-up, in a 3500 count box and in a floor safe for several years.) Nothing was laying on the card's surface. His second message (he sent 2 before I could even respond) - he said he will return it.

I addressed his storage concerns, and told him the full refund was fine. Send the card back - and he'll get his money back.

..then he changed his mind again. He wants the card - but wants a partial refund. With 30 or so messages from him in all - he's obviously one that cares very much about his cards and I could tell he's upset with the purchase. I feel it's best he just returns it and I give him a full refund - as I had offered 2 times - and as he implied when he said he was going to return it.

I suppose my question is - am I obligated to meet his request for a partial refund? I feel really uncomfortable about this whole thing and would really prefer the card returned, and I give him a 100% refund. It seems as if he's refusing to send back the card - yet wants a partial refund.

With 780 (100% positive) feedback - I've never been in this situation. He's accusing me of knowing about this imperfection - and also accusing me of accusing him of creating a story. (lol) Funny thing is - he has over 300 (100% positive) feedback - so it seems we have two legit eBay customers here!

In all reality - I never noticed this imperfection and never had any issue with offering him a full refund.

Any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.