View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 06:14 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1961 View Post

While I never was fortunate enough to get a Lummis card, I view them with an utmost admiration. Also, I lament no one in the adult hobby back then sought to write meaningfully about them, but then you'd have to find a former youngster who avidly collected them in 1949 to interview. Such a person might be tougher to locate than an actual Lummis card! l
I know this is an old thread, but the current REA auction seems like it should be relevant as to how how exactly the Lummis Peanut Butter cards were distributed. REA currently has an Ashburn Lummis card that a non-collector in the Philadelphia area originally obtained in 1949. It seems amazing that a non-collector would keep the card for 66 years, but REA auction doesn't answer the ovious question of how exactly they were distributed -- even after locating an original Lummis collector from 1949.

Here is an except from the current REA auction:

"This miracle card has been consigned directly from a non-collector in the Philadelphia area who obtained it in 1949 as a youngster and has saved it all these years. It is, unfortunately, the only example from this rare set that he kept over the last sixty-six years."

http://bid.robertedwardauctions.com/...x?itemid=38920