View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Ja,mie B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1749 View Post
I collected baseball cards as a kid (late 80's/early 90's). However, I am looking to get back into it with a focus on pre-1960's cards that have investment grade focus. Even though my focus is acquire "works of art", I would prefer to have the ability to sell them at some point in the future.

1) Am I better off getting 1-3 high profile cards in great condition or 10+ average cards in decent condition?

2) Where is the best place to find a reputable cards/sellers (local dealer, online dealer, ebay, etc)?

3) Is the PSA guide a good indication of value or are there other pricing guides that are more useful?

4) Is PSA the most recognized/high quality rating system out there?

5) Any other tips you can throw at me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
For 50's cards, try to buy PSA 10's, preferably "1 of 1". 52 and 55 Topps are the most solid.

The PSA guide is woefully inaccurate. Most subscribe to Vintagecardprices.com to learn prices. Or use google searches.

SGC is good for 19th century material and pre-war cards, but not set registry type stuff.

I like the 3 cards idea. 3 is a good number. Really, I think five is too many. 99% of the posters here will disagree.

Best to use an auction house like REA, Goodwin, Heritage. Ebay is sketchier, so make sure the seller is reliable. But the best cards all go to auction houses these days. The dealers are almost all overpriced.

Take some time to follow the auctions this winter to get accustomed - wait to buy until springtime. Study past auction results - you can go to the Robert Edward Auctions website and see the kinds of stuff they sell, then decide what you like.

Just an opinion - most people here like pre-war cards and they are ultimately more rare and interesting. Portrait cards are great art-like collectibles, whether they be T206, N172, etc.