View Single Post
Old 04-24-2023, 11:07 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetahat View Post
These were surely nice and sold for reasonable prices. Still too rich for my blood. The jewel in the group IMO was the Yankees, as I don’t think I’ve ever seen an oversized NYY pennant from the teens. (Mark?) I thought the most attractive was the Senators, no cracking and in a nice green nonetheless. Someone took a bath on the White Sox pennant which sold for $3900 on eBay a few months ago. It didn’t help him that his pennant was auctioned with that group. Likely hurt a lot.
Yes, You nailed it Greg. The Phillies pennant sold for the most, but the Yankees pennant was the true gem in my opinion as well. First oversized Yankees I’ve ever seen, and that’s a lot of years worth of looking. A friend of mine was pursuing it, I know. Not sure yet whether he won it (hope so), but am almost positive he was at least in the top two.

I thought the prices were decent but not as “blockbuster” as they could’ve been. I had guessed early on that these would land in the $4 - $5K range. The Yankees and Phillies finished high in that range but the other three fell short.

I was underbidder on the Giants, and would’ve hit it a few more times if I had any available wall space. I thought it was the best one of the group artistically, but my eye kept going back to the White Sox vertical pennant (which climbed just high enough that I dropped out).

I guess I was most surprised about the Red Sox not going higher. Usually early Red Sox pennants go crazy at auction. It was the worst conditioned example of the five, so perhaps that’s what held it back. Great auction, nonetheless… best memorabilia offering REA has had in the last decade!

https://www.youtube.com/@tsogreatness/videos