View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Default Your most underappreciated cards (to outsiders)

Posted By: Jim VB

fkw,

Most of the work wasn't mine. It was my Dad who was a 16 year old New Yorker at the time. He must have done the writing away with the SASE for every player. He always thought he had them all. Back in the 80's, I did a little asking around and was told the set was complete at 18. So I stopped looking. For years. About 2 years ago, I pulled them out again and found that SCD had finally cataloged them at 22 cards in the set. Asked a few questions and Robert Lifson emails me and says he sold an 18 card lot back in 2005. That had the 4 I was missing. (Or course, I have 4 that lot was missing.) A few people have said they used to have a set, or they had seen a set, etc., but nobody seems to have any now. (Not totally true. I talked to Lew Lipset about a year ago. He has a near set, also.) The search goes on.

Paul,

Great question! I've never really thought about it until now. Clearly not the Polo Grounds (Palm trees were the tip off.) I guess Spring training. Where did the Giants train back in 1932?

Joann,

Notice how deferrential the Giants were back then. Ladies free on Fridays! What a deal!