View Single Post
Old 05-16-2016, 01:19 AM

....continued

When all was said and done, here is what I was left with ...

It looks great in person and looks / feels like it came off the shelf from the store in 1989.

Even the back turned out awesome!

I know that this is supposed to be about the artwork for the box, but I couldn't resist creating a bottle as well, using a $1.50 donor gas-x bottle from the Wal-Mart clearance aisle.

The label was difficult to line up.

I made the expiration date 8/92 ... the month he was traded to the Rangers.

Why make this bottle? Simple ... because it can now hold these:

You remember what these are, right? C'mon, sure you do! They are the pills that were in the pocket of a game used batting practice jersey I picked up last year! A refresher can be found here if you are interested: http://goo.gl/Mmrrp3 - In my opinion, the best thing to put in a bottle of Canseco vitamins are pills that actually used to be Canseco's!

Last but not least, cardboard is king in my collection, so I just had to make the redemption card! I wanted to use the picture from the front of the vitamin box, but the picture was just too small. Then, I remembered that I had seen the picture before. Sure enough, it was used for a card that came with a board game about 25 years ago.

If you look closely and compare it to the version of the one on the box, you can see a slight difference, so while it isn't the exact same picture, it was probably taken by the same photographer seconds apart.

I figured I'd add in the logos and change up the border to give it some more late 80's pizzazz while matching the product it was supposed to have come from.

And the back!

I wonder if ever an '89 Griffey (making it his rookie) ever came out, what it would go for if it were truly rare. I did a quick mock of what the card would look like, but since I don't collect Griffey, I didn't actually make the card:

So, here is the set together ....

And here is the set together with the original artwork.

I love adding pieces to my collection that compel me to make more pieces for my collection. I must say this is definitely the first time I've done anything quite like this, and it may quite possibly be my last!