View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 03:24 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceBondsMntna2Young View Post
You don’t think it’s possible (or even likely) that there are more altered than non-altered vintage cards in graded slabs right now? The older the card, the more generations of trimmers had an opportunity at it. Even if the profit motivation for trimming ramped up only in the 80s, when investing and formalized numerical grading became part and parcel of baseball card collecting, there was still plenty of reason to trim beforehand, if only to make one’s own card more appealing to the eye.

And in the era of greed, 80s and after, how many generations of trimmers had a shot at these cards before the motivation to trim went supernova with the rise of PSA, SGC, and BGS?
It's a very high number but no way is it 50 percent. Not even close in my opinion. Look at ebay, look at 707's store for a good sense of the distribution of graded vintage cards, most cards are still worth relatively little.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-17-2019 at 03:26 PM.