View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 10:09 AM
Steven Finley

I'm not trying to be an apologist for Probstein (although sometimes I am), but I try to look at it this way:

If I ran my own eBay consignment company that had 500-1000 auctions going off weekly and almost a million in sales quarterly how many of these questions would I honestly answer yes to?

1. I would myself or salary someone to check all completed auctions for suspicious bidding.

2. I would alert bidders/auction winners about suspicious bidding.

3. I would prevent cosigners I believe are shilling from consigning in the future.

4. I would prevent auction winners from immediately consigning their winnings with me.

5. I would not provide my top customers with additional information such as scans or opinions on which cards might be worth a crack and re-submit.

Personally,

1. Probably not. It's a waste of time and resources to police a problem eBay poured gas on by instituting anonymous bidding.

2. Yes would be the ethical thing to say, but the can of worms opened in the process would probably be to much deal with.

3. The only question I could unequivocally agree I would do.

4. No, I'm in the business of selling cards and making money.

5. I would not go out of the way to do so, but if a customer who payed my mortgage the month before requested additional information I would make sure he/she received it.