View Single Post
Old 07-30-2013, 10:36 AM
Dave

Still plenty of excellent lighter weight fights. Heavyweight division DOES have two dominant champs right now. They just happen to be non-American brothers who mostly fight in Europe now, and toiling in an era similar to Larry Holmes in the early 80's, with a lack of proper competition. At least in the Holmes era, most of the comp was North American based..........There's just no legit American contender out there right now.

I've tried MMA. It's primitive IMO. I find myself rooting for stand-up fights, and when it goes to the ground I get bored...........so I just go back to watching boxing. Most of the solid technique in MMA is limited to submissions and the ground game. Most of their stand-up technique is horrible, and because they don't really train for it, punch-resistance is almost non-existent.

As hated as he is, one only need to look at Floyd Mayweather to see if people still come out to watch fights if they feel they are compelling. Floyd and Manny Pac, (up until very recently), were compiling 20, 30, 40 million dollar paydays on a regular basis.

The upcoming Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez fight should do HUGE business.

The American game is a bit lacking right now. A lot of it has to do with the disintegrating amateur game and a big dip in quality of the Olympic program, which used to churn out star after star into the pro ranks.