Thread: E-Bay purchase?
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
That's understandable. Just remember, though, unless it's a rare card, or something you really want in a condition that's exceptional, meaning there will be a lot of competition, there will always be another example of the same card at the same price, or close to it, soon. Patience is the one thing that will come with collecting more. '52 Topps cards will always have higher demand, as it's Topps' first full set, but I have to believe that there are still a lot of them out there. If you're not building a plus condition set, you're going to have a lot of sellers to choose from. Some of the high series cards will be more costly, but as you go, you'll learn what to expect, and what the cards will cost.

You'll be fine. I'm looking forward to seeing your '52 set come along. It's a classic! Myself, I'm concentrating on the T206 set, the '53 Bowman and '75 Topps. That will keep me plenty busy.

Cheers!
Thanks again for the advise and encouragement, Stache.

Patience is something I definitely didn't have when it came to this card, and like you mentioned, more came up shortly after I won this current one.

I was fortunate enough to be given the cards I have, and although some are likely worth a decent buck, it still doesn't afford me to purchase at will on the ones I don't have.

I'll pick away at it here and there and maybe, hopefully, pick up a lot or 2 along the way and add to it what I can in hopes of one day turning it over to my son for him to carry on, just like it was to me, (or help pay for his secondary education if I have to?)

I've been reading/researching a lot trying to learn as much as I can about the 52 Topps cards and the rest of the hobby and I think I got a head of myself trying to play catch up for all the years I missed?

The important part is, I am having fun doing it (although there was a bump recently on some cards I wanted, and still want) but I'm learning as I go and I'm enjoying myself.

Thanks again for your advice and input, I appreciate it!

Good luck with your sets too!