View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty bombjack View Post
I have to laugh when you guys call the value for these "artificially inflated," as if any autograph or baseball card has any intrinsic value whatsoever. The value of each and every thing we discuss on these boards is "artificial." If someone will pay 1200 bucks for it, than that's what it's worth, even if you or I won't.
I would have to agree that everything we buy and sell here has no real intrinsic value, however IMO the greater fool theory would apply to these artificially created chase cards, with their so called shortages. The demand for these has been artificially inflated by creating what the card companies like to call shortages.
I do not think the greater fool theory would apply in a case of a vintage item with a limited supply that has not been artificially created by an external force and with a real history of demand.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow