View Single Post
Old 03-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Mike Navarro

I think it's primarily because of addiction and compulsion. Many people, and a self indictment here on occasion as well, like the "action" and "chase" just as much if not more than the actual item. Then, if you don't have deep pockets, an easy way to get that "fix" is to sell and "chase" something else.

Kinda like dating in that there is a lot of fun in the chase but once you get the "prize" it kind of gets old lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshleps View Post
Mike interested you said that. As a more general question in response to that there seems to be alot of turnover in this hobby where us collectors get outbid and then a year or two later the item comes up again. Any opinion why this happens. Options I see are
1) person is a dealer not a collector and sees an opportunity to flip an item, when an item I get outbid on immediately comes up for resale it really bothers me whether it should or not
2) person is fed up with the hobby and liquidating
3) person sees another item they want more and has to sell to raise the $
Me personally I hate to trade or sell anything even if I am offered "a deal I can't refuse". I am at times forced to buy a large lot to get one or two items I want and then do my best selling the rest but I try to avoid that situation. Also because the size of my collection is just too large at times I have narrowed the focus of the collection and let go of items that haven't fit the new parameters.
Would love others input.