View Single Post
Old 02-18-2009, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Default Willie Mays at Philly

Posted By: Anthony S.

Played a round of golf one hole behind Willie Mays (why do such graceful athletes often have golf swings that look like they're having a seizure) at Harding Park in SF back in the 90's. I'm indifferent to autographs, but knew my sister would get a kick out of having Willie Mays', so I approached him at the turn (there's always a wait in the 10th tee box). I wasn't expecting a look of joy as I approached, as a private round of golf is sacrosanct, and Willie looked less than thrilled, but he signed without resorting to profanity.

A few years earlier, I was at my eye doctor and as my appointment ended he casually mentioned that if I stuck around for a few moments I could meet Joe DiMaggio. I thought he was kidding or that I'd misheard him, so I left. Took the elevator downstairs, walked outside (experience has taught me that walking outside before taking the elevator downstairs is inadvisable), took a left at the corner and literally walked right into Joe DiMaggio. Didn't ask him for an autograph, but who else can say they essentially re-enacted a play at the plate with Joe DiMaggio when he was in his mid 70's.