Thread: 2014 In Review
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2014, 10:16 PM
Joe Gonsowski

Default 2014 In Review

Net54 has always had some good posts/threads at the close of each year as our collectables age gracefully. I haven't noticed a post yet this year that fits the traditional mold so I'll start one. Share your favorite pick-ups of 2014 and comment on some of the most notable hobby finds/discoveries/news.

I'll start with my favorite hobby find . . . an N172 McGreachery (Deacon White portrait) that surfaced in REA spring auction (2nd known copy). A great card that fetched a healthy six figure hammer price.

There have been a number of other interesting stories regarding research, finds, slab updates, corruption exposure, etc. I'll leave it to others to post favs.

My favorite pick-ups of 2014 included the Charlie Bennett "King of Catchers" tribute game program from the Kid Nichols estate (thanks to Jay Miller for bringing it to my attention) and a couple Old Judges. Any Deacon White pick-up will always be a highlight for me and the Ed Beatin is a real beater but was a pose I've had on my wantlist with no real expectation of obtaining it since it was previously only known as a single N173 in the Wharton Tigar collection (British Museum). It was a shock to me to see this pose surface as an N172.

It's been a great day, a great year, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01 Cover Small.jpg (69.6 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg White & Beatin.jpg (67.3 KB, 398 views)
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers