View Single Post
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 AM
Matt

Can you eliminate foxx using this bat completely - no .. Do I honestly believe there's a chance he used it - no .. Would mears grade it as a pro model - yup ..

All bats have a nub that has to be removed when it comes off a lathe , so there will always be some sort of mark . I see what you are referring to and it doesn't strike me as hand rasping to get the bat to a certain weight .. Speaking of which , what is the weight ?

Foxx ordered 34" bats twice - once in 1939 and once in 25 so he did order them but very rarely .

In regards to the knob stamping - no it doesn't eliminate the bat from being a pro model. There's still a ton to learn about Hannas. The Gehrig that LOTG sold just proves that.

In my opinion - and only my opinion - foxx never used it . It's a great bat and a great addition to any collection .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
You are right that Foxx almost always ordered 35"+ bats, and while this reduces the likelihood that it's a Foxx GU bat, it does not absolutely eliminate it, does it? He did order a couple of bats from H&B at the 34" length during his long career, so it would seem unlikely but possible that he ordered one from Hanna, no? But here is something else that I'd like to learn about: does the stamping on the knob absolutely preclude it from being a pro model bat? Dave Bushing's comments suggest that some pro models Batrite bats might have that stamping on the knob--maybe he was wrong 10 years ago. What do you make of the rasp marks that seem to run across the stamping on the knob? If they are beneath the stamping, would that not suggest that the bat is hand turned and therefore not a store model bat? Or did Hanna hand turn some retail bats?

Matt Bub13@aol.com
Always looking for 40k Kork Grip Bats, Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig and Joe Jackson Bats & Gloves
http://oldbaseballbats.webs.com/