View Single Post
Old 03-15-2015, 08:26 AM
Dan Bretta

I was doing research on some Schmeltzer Sporting Goods baseball player real photo postcards I had come across when I had found they had a link with JL Wilkinson....I started doing more research on Wilkinson and learned that he got his start in the sporting goods industry with Hopkins bros out of Des Moines the article I found mentioned Wilkinson managing a women's team for the store. I had seen numerous postcards of this team through my years of collecting barnstorming team postcards. I found mine and started doing my own "facial recognition" between the postcard and known photos of Wilkinson. I'm no expert like Mark is, and Mark wasn't even around this forum at the time of this discovery. So I guess I am to blame for the auction houses using this info and running with it. I still am not convinced that it's not him, but I also don't want to say that I 100% believe that it is him. More research needs to be done on this team, I gotta believe that some research with old Des Moines newspapers would bring up more info and possibly some photos. I'm actually somewhat surprised that more research hasn't already been done since he got elected to the Hall of Fame.