View Single Post
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedutymon View Post
.................All they want is there 15 minutes of Fame!!!
Neil, there is no getting around sensationalizing news. Most people crave it or we wouldn't have it. And it's actually getting worse - look at all the reality t.v. shows. Now that's a real load of crap and a horrid statement as to where our society is heading. Look at the video games - blood and guts gets us off.

So, basically, don't look for the media to downplay these incidents.

As far as "15 minutes of fame", I have no idea if that's what motivated Holmes, but I doubt it. Is it what will motivate potential copycat killers? Perhaps.

I used to go to the movie theater in question - my girlfriend (who I later married) lived off Mississippi, near the theater. My parents lived in Littleton and my brother and sister went to high school near the Columbine massacre. But none of that would cause a second's hesitation when I make decisions about how I live my life. Both of those incidents were horrid tragedies that life is full of. I also don't hide during storms out of fear that lightning will strike me.

We have been executing and imprisoning murderers forever, and I always hope that the punishments will deter future violence, but it doesn't. When some estranged parent murders his children after visitation, it isn't about "15 minutes of fame" - it's about an angry, distraught, depressed, 'crazy' person at the end of his rope, acting in a way that makes no sense to anyone but himself. Copycat killers are found mostly in the movies. I suspect it's the same for Holmes. He's still alive, so we will find out at some point.

Meanwhile, I plan to see 'Batman' tomorrow, even though our theaters don't post policemen outside.