Thread: Clayton Kershaw
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2019, 04:06 PM
Todd Schultz

I'm no Dodger fan, and I've only rooted for Kershaw twice (or how many times he pitched against the Red Sox), but the manager needs to take some heat here too. He left a lot in the bullpen, even though guys were up and ready--probably the right guys too.

Had Eaton delivered against Kershaw in the prior inning we would have heard about that all off season too. As it is though, Kershaw looked great in that one AB to end the inning, and Roberts may have thought he caught lightning in a bottle and could roll the dice. Me, I would have used that as a confidence builder and moved on to start the 8th, although hindsight is always 20-20 as they say. Maybe Roberts remembered 2017, when Kershaw left with two on and a 3-run lead in the WS only to watch Maeda promptly give up a three-run shot to to tie what would be a pivotal loss in game 5. Still, Maeda had looked very relaxed and sharp this series, and looked like the obvious choice. FWIW, Kelly should not have been allowed to start or finish the 10th either--that too is on Roberts.

Back to Kershaw, though, I believe he can still be very effective going forward if he pitches more than throws. Pedro Martinez said something after the game about how Kershaw needs to give up being a power pitcher and use his experience to keep hitters off balance. I think he's right. Anybody these days can throw 96 plus and many have good secondary pitches as well. Still, there is plenty of room still for the proverbial "wily veteran" to prosper.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.