Thread: Ali signature?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Default Ali signature?

Posted By: D. Bergin

That looks like a great piece. Much better then all the modern Ali signatures we see today. I'd guess this was signed at Ali's Deer Lake Camp in upstate New York prior to his final bout with Trevor Berbick. It looks like several members of Ali's entourage signed it.

The more important ones are Drew "Bundini" Brown on the front, one of his seconds but mainly there in a cheerleading capacity for Ali. He was quite a character.

Center of back is Jimmy Ellis. A former Heavyweight titlist and a frequent visitor to Ali's camps. He was from the same hometown as Ali.

Bottom left back. Eddie Mustafa Muhammad formerly known as Eddie Gregory. He was a Light Heavyweight Champion and he fought on the same card as Ali. It's possible this could have also been signed in the Bahamas if they were staying there a couple of weeks before the fights took place.

Wali Muhammad, I believe he took over as trainer when Angelo Dundee refused to work this fight because he was worried about Ali's health.

The rest are non-essential that I can tell, though there's a couple I can't make out because the scan is small.