Thread: March pickups
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Bob M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobmc View Post
The 1952 Pony League World Series was held at Washington, Pa.
The program is not particularly fancy as it is in black and white; but quite significant because it represents the first Pony League WS.

There were two players on the first Pony World Series championship team that would later play in the big leagues.

Trivia question:

Who was the winning pitcher and the only other player on that 1952 inaugural Pony League World Series Championship team to play in the Major Leagues?

I'll mail the winning pitcher's signed Topps RC to the 1st member correctly answering the trivia question

Attachment 224643
Duluth Eskimo got the correct answer. I thought Mike White would be a name that would stump net54 members -- but Jason knew the answer right away. (

Below is a team pic showing the eventual '52 Pony WS champs in Washington, Pa. Not sure which one is Mike White (6th from left, maybe). Joe Horlen is about the smallest guy on the team, wearing a warm-up jacket. Immediately after this pic was taken, Horlen tossed a nifty shutout as San Antonio, Tx defeated San Bernardino, Ca for his 1st of 2 wins in the WS.

Rudy Davalos, Jr was also on this team. Eventually, Davalos became a very successful Athletic Director at the Univ. of New Mexico following several coaching stints, including the NBA Spurs.

20160318_154420_6_bestshot.jpg

Last edited by Bobmc; 03-18-2016 at 03:04 PM.