View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Kev1n @1les

Default Anyone in the Edison New Jersey Area - Can you help me?

I got my 48 Bowman set in hand and I am pleasantly surprised for the price that I paid. There are a couple of stinkers that will need to be replace. At first I thought that I had a signed Johnny Mize Card. I then realized that it didn't say Johnny, it said Donald someone - the original owner must have signed it to lay claim. Oh well, I'll have to get that one replaced.

There are 3 graded cards - Yogi (4), Scooter (5) and Spahn (3). I would say that it is a VGEx ish set across the board - especially after I get rid of the 5-6 bad ones. Surprisingly, Mize is probably the most valuable one that needs replaced. Feller is ok, probably VG but doesn't have any major character flaws.

Here is where I need help...
I don't have my scanner, so I can't upload until tomorrow night, but I have the set with me as I am travelling for business and grabbed it off the front door as I left today to avoid the barrage of questions that normally comes with an auction package (what is it?, how much was it? Do your realize that I need new deck furniture, carpet, fill in the blanks - even though I have a separate fund...but I digress).

The Musial looks pretty good. Good surface, strong color, and decent corners. I would think that as nice as it looks, the AH would have had it graded to drive the value up of the set - unless it is trimmed or altered and they could not get it in a slab. I have held it up to the other cards and it seems to be the same size unless I am looking at it wrong. I would prefer not to upgrade it if I didn't have to, but I would prefer to have that one in a slab as well. When I upgrade Feller, I will have him graded too.

Are there any shops near Edison or anyone on the board that lives close that would be willing to take a look at it? My gut tells me that there is an issue - otherwise, the AH would have submitted it, but my naked eye cannot tell.

Otherwise, I can scan when I get home tomorrow night but I am not sure if anyone will be able to tell definitively just by the picture.

Thanks!

53-55 Red Mans Complete Set