View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 11:19 PM
Todd Schultz

Default Request any info on E135 origins

I am looking to find anything on the origins of the 1917 sets known as Collins-McCarthy or Boston Store, as well as that year's edition of Weil Baking and Standard Biscuit), all of which we know are the same set with different ad backs. Of course, anything on the scarcer Merchant's Bakery or blank-backed versions would be appreciated also.

Eventually I would like to show that Felix Mendelsohn either had something to do with this set or not. For now, I am hoping that board members here can show me examples of miscut cards that show parts of another card's number on top, so we have a better idea of sheet configuration. My other hope at this point is that someone can provide a much clearer copy of this Mendesohn ad appearing in the Sporting News March 15, 1917 (SABR members?):

A smaller ad appeared in the 5/24/1917 TSN showing what may be the same pic (my copy is horrible and there is no player name identification). Curiously, the card is supposedly of Pete Baumann, but the Yankee player Paddy Baumann of that year and team was christened Charles John, not Pete. In any event, I wonder if the pic has the washed out background found in the E135-like sets or instead if it has a background.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 10-17-2017 at 11:22 PM.