View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 07:30 AM
Sam Lemoine

I gave up on PSA's 'expertise' a long time ago. I emailed them in 2009 and asked if they would authenticate Olympic autographs other than the ones we see all the time. They asked for a list. I have over 5,000, so I decided to concentrate on swimming signatures. I sent a list of 75 to start with, and they said they could authenticate them all (assuming they were legit). I mailed them out and paid my money and I got back 23 slabbed items, and a credit voucher for the 52 they didn't slab because they had no expertise. It seemed to me that they could have told me they had no expertise on these signatures before they took my money. The odd part, was that they slabbed a few that there is NO POSSIBLE WAY that they could know the legitimacy of. One signature was of a swimmer that I got in person that I have not seen another example EVER. Yet, there were fairly common signatures that they couldn't do.
I had planned on building the biggest PSA/DNA registry of Olympic signed items possible. Now, I wish I hadn't even gotten any of them slabbed. I ended up using the credits for grading cards that I really didn't need to have graded. And one other note... on their "Greatest American Olympians" set, they selected 18 Olympians to start with. They didn't pick most of the greats of all-time, but they chose people like Dominique Moceanu and Kerri Strug. Oh, and Steven Redgrave... of Great Britain. I told them in 2009 he was British. He is still in the set. Oh well... enough of me ranting.