View Single Post
Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 AM
Banned

MMA and boxing are two different animals and the collectors are different.

Most of the higher priced stuff in boxing is collected by old time collectors and I don't know any of these collectors who also collect MMA stuff or have abandoned boxing for MMA.

I have had people tell me that the average age of a boxing collector is over 50 years old. It might be true. Once they collect boxing, I don't think they are going to say, 'well, I am going to stop because I like this MMA'

Most older boxing collectors I know either don't care for MMA or like me, might watch a fight here or there if it is a big fight and it's on free tv but otherwise I couldn't really care less.

I just don't think they overlap. Only the younger guys who might have started to collect boxing, but instead are interested in MMA might affect the hobby, but that paradigm wouldn't be realized until several years from now as they mature and spend their bigger dollars on MMA instead of boxing. But that's off in the future. I just don't see it though. I don't see one taking away from the other.

Boxing in general is struggling for interest in most weight classes however, because there haven't been too many exciting fighters that are interesting except for the Pacman/Mayweather and boxers in those weight classes. Heavyweight division is lethargic but it only takes another tyson/holyfield/bowe/lennox lewis type rivalries and it would be on again. the Klitschko era will pass and someone needs to step up and make it exciting again. I don't know people who are pining for Klitschko stuff. But there are Tyson collectors out there as well as Ali/Foreman/Frazier obviously. But the last dozen years are a snoozer for the heavyweights as far as collecting goes.

Last edited by travrosty; 03-27-2012 at 12:53 AM.