View Single Post
Old 12-06-2015, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Wow, your ignorance is appalling. If this isn't a Christian nation, then why is Christmas, a national holiday? What other religion has a day recognized as a national holiday? Just because you may choose not to celebrate Christmas, doesn't negate the fact our founding fathers declared it a federal holiday.

You talk about fear from the right, but the left has people so scared of the political correctness BS, that many people have even stopped saying Merry Christmas or have changed the name form Christmas to Holiday - Holiday Tree, Holiday Lights, Holiday Party.

No, it's Christmas, set aside for Christ. Again, you have the choice to celebrate it or not. There is no mandate to celebrate it, just as there is no mandate to pop fireworks on Independence Day. But to say this isn't a Christian nation when we have a federal holiday set aside for Christ is ignorant.

I didn't mean to get off topic, but when I see stupid crap I have to respond. Carry on with the gun talk.

You might want to check on who the founding fathers were considering that Christmas was not declared a federal holiday until 1870 when Grant was in office, only 94 years after the signing of the Declaration.

If Christ existed, scholarly research has suggested that he wasn't even born on December 25 but rather around the Summer Solstice. It is because Pagan holidays were celebrated on Dec. 25 that that's when Christmas was celebrated that day, too.

As someone who is liberal, I see both sides of the PC debate.

On one hand, some people need thicker skin and there are those who get offended over the slightest little thing that it's ridiculous.

On the other hand, I see videos and read articles that espouse hate and calls for violence and destruction against so many people and so many different regions. Pastors blame the attacked rather than the attacker, and it's not only people on the internet making inappropriate comments, it's talk show hosts and sometimes candidates.

This is not a Christian nation. There are more Christians in this country than anybody else, but we have the luxury of freedom of and freedom from religion. You cannot establish Christianity as the national religion, nor can you do it at the state level because the incorporation doctrine in the Fourteenth Amendment means the Bill of Rights must also be followed by the states.

If this were a Christian nation, the founders could've put it in the Constitution. Many a times over the 200+ years has our Constitution been amended. Not once is there a specific mention of Christ or Christianity.

Last edited by Topps206; 12-06-2015 at 09:33 PM.