View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 09:17 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBear View Post
I'd be more interested in a list of cards that we're issued during the players major league career, AND is a card depicting him on the team he entered the HOF.

Sorry, but something like a 1946 Newark team photo of Berra has zero interest for me. I don't understand how something like that is more meaningful than a 1948 Bowman card of him with the Yankees for an HOF collector.
I agree on Berra, personally going by the "rookie card" list, you'd technically be looking at the '47 bread releases as a "true rookie". However I've always viewed the Bowman as an "acceptable rookie"...

Some people are interested in the earliest depicted image on ANY type of collectible. For those people that list is awesome. Personally, I generally go by the "true rookie card" list of Phils that I posted earlier(Not the OldCardboard one, but the updated one from net54). Then, depending on the player, I'll use my own judgement as to whether or not to make any adjustments based on my own preferences. Generally, anything that pre-dates what's on that list, I view as pre-rookie, but will obviously fit perfectly into my rookie collection as a rookie, in place of the designated rookie.

I generally don't do the team photo type items, although, I can think of a few that I'd actually prefer over anything else of the player. Rixey(as an example) on the Phillies team Fatima, because it pre-dates his other rookie cards by a few years, and it also adds a different "type" into the mix of my collection..

And a few instances, especially in regards to the executives(morgan bulkeley to be exact), where a non-baseball related postcard significantly pre-dates anything else, in terms of "card-like" items...

Basically, every collector is different. Combining those lists as reference, should get you into the ballpark, and then make your own decisions..

Last edited by novakjr; 09-13-2013 at 09:19 AM.