View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Would it be possible that submissions are WAY DOWN and that there are less people doing the "new and shiney" thing which means that there's going to be even less business (not that SGC was picking up a lot of the "new and shiney" business anyway). Perhaps getting out of SGC may be a good business plan right now. My guess is that the unsustainable submission levels of the past have subsided and the price of grading will have to increase just for the companies to break even or turn a small profit.

This hobby has been over ridden by "collectors" that have speculated and lost their butts on card board. Maybe now they can try to corner the market on Puffles, have them graded and make those little toys completely unavailable to the little kids that really LIKE those things. Without submissions the grading business doesn't look so promising. Hey, maybe they can start grading Puffles.

My opinion - one reason that people supported SGC was the people that ran the company were trusted and held in high regard. I'm not saying that JSA can't be trusted but if you're used to something and then there's a sudden "change", it's not always positive. Look at Coca Cola and "New" Coke.

I guess my ungraded cards aren't going any where, any time soon.

One last thought - If JSA takes over ownership of SGC and uses it as a vehicle to peddle their autograph services does that mean that JSA will not be in the business of selling autographs?
Granted the "new and shiney" market isn't doing particularly well. However, I fail to see how that has anything to do with SGC. Modern collectors almost always go with either BGS or PSA.