View Single Post
Old 10-09-2014, 03:56 PM
D0NN1E B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones View Post
Hey Donnie. I'm pretty sure this photo was taken at the same field in 1924...
If anyone other than myself is interested I wrote the Reds Hall of Fame and this is the response to the photos.

"Thanks for contacting us. We are very familiar with this image and keep one on display in our museum. The story that we believe is accurate is that there had been a series of incidents involving armed moonshiners in the area in advance of the Reds scheduled exhibition games. As a precaution, a security detail was called in to help ensure the safety of players and spectators. At some point, someone decided to get creative with the photo op and this image was the result.

Uniformed players in the image are (left to right):
Ivey Wingo (Catcher), Bubbles Hargrave (Catcher), Pete Donohue (Pitcher), Pat Duncan (Outfielder), Rube Bressler (Outfielder), Sammy Bohne (Infielder), George Burns (Outfielder), Babe Pinelli (Outfielder), Rube Benton (Pitcher), Edd Roush (Outfielder) Hughie Critz (Second Baseman).

You might be interested to know that Hargrave, Donohue, Bressler, Roush and Critz are members of the Reds Hall of Fame and Roush is a member of the National Baseball Hall of Fame.

The non-uniformed individuals in the image are not known but appear to be part of the “security” detail that was in place for the game."