Thread: Moral Quandary
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Joe

Dan - I agree with all who have said you have absolutely no moral obligation. You should feel comfortable with whatever you decide.

In the Spring of 2006 I was contacted by the granddaughter of Elden Aucker (Detroit submarine pitcher). I had a scrap book that I got off ebay for very little that chronicled in detail the 1934 and 1935 seasons, including both back-to-back World Series those years in which Aucker pitched. The scrapbook was full of content covering Aucker. His granddaughter explained she saw some images of the scrapbook on my site and was incquiring about it. After hearing what the book contained she went on to explain that her grandfather was very ill and would very much appreciate having that history to relive. Since I paid very little and had no attachment to the scrapbook (didn’t have any special interest to Detroit or Aucker) I gave it to her to give to her grandfather. It turned out Aucker died 3 months later. I wonder if he ever saw it…or if that was even his granddaughter.

Now Dan, don’t feel like that story should persuade anything, because if the item had significant value that couldn’t be compensated for, and/or I felt a strong attachment to it and felt it couldn’t be replaced – I wouldn’t part with it for anyone, I don’t care who their grandfather was and if he was dying or not.