View Single Post
Old 02-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Administrator

Default My T206 Plank theory....New Follow-up info

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

At least the sarcasm was sincere...

T200 Fatima, the cards and the premium. Shouldn't count it as 2... Most people don't have one of each. I only have one of the two. E107, E90-1, E91, these are all realistically American Caramel. Lafean isn't going to complain about his own use.

Ramly, not Ramley, was geographically separated from Philadelphia. So were the T208s. D359s and D303s. Kottons are miles away. Same for E224s. Others, like Cracker Jack, are remote in time and after what Ted is talking about. I perceive that you never did go back and read through the other thread.

It seems to me that Lafean on his own, or with Plank, would only know to complain about or challenge matters they were aware of. Can't complain in fall of 1909 or spring of 1910 about stuff that is in Virginia or Texas of which they're unaware. Can't complain about stuff in 1914 when it is 1910. So I'd discount the game card pieces, the stuff that is distant geographically, and temporally... and that just doesn't leave much.

But you count 'em as you like. Conlon probably took a few photographs of Eddie Plank, the prints would have that purple Conlon stamp on the back... count those, too.

I do think that someone, most likely Lafean and Plank, stopped ATC's use of Plank. Either by not signing the permission documents when sought, or by some affirmative step on their part. Eventually, their protectiveness of the use of the likeness slackened, as is evidenced by Plank on later issues. Maybe folks later offered more money. Maybe folks asked for permission before using the likeness. Maybe they were fans of the people, instead of the wealthy few, and they disliked Buchanon and his vast tobacco holdings, cheering from the sidelines as Brandeis busted up the Trust. But I can't instantly believe something someone's found on the internet, or put faith in that broken plate stuff. Those printers must have broken plates in the first couple of series, I'm sure glad they settled down and were able to handle the 460 series plates without a single break or chip...

At least you seem passionate about cards! Glad for that. Me thinks they're slabbed.