View Single Post
Old 02-16-2010, 10:53 PM
Kenny Cole

Default M116

Sporting Life was issued circa 1910-11. At a minimum, it was circulated in the same area as were the caramel issues of the time,including Philadelphia.

M116 Planks aren't that hard to find. For that reason, I don't think it is possible that the American Caramel Co. was unaware of that issue. I suppose it is possible that the thinking was that an M116 Plank wasn't a threat because it wasn't issued with candy, but I am sceptical of that idea because that would run counter to the theory that the American Caramel Company stopped the production of his tobacco cards to preserve its monopoly on his image.

Sporting Life probably wasn't issued until 1910 to the best of my knowledege. However, neither were Plank 350 backs. I'm not seeing that American Caramel would shut down all of the tobacco productions in 1909 and 1910, but do nothing to shut down the magazine issues if the thought was to have some sort of monopoly on Plank. I'm not shooting at anyone, but I see this as a fly in the ointment insofar as the proffered theory goes.

Kenny Cole

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 02-16-2010 at 10:57 PM.