View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 07:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkas68 View Post
With respect to the whole Jeter, Trammell thing. Trammell was really good. Jeter was better. That said, Jeter gets more pop than he deserves (Yankee effect, etc.). He was no Ted Williams.

With respect to the card prices, I think it is all sorts of silly and that lends itself to a possible fall. I have Jeter SP in a bvg 8.5 which is about $250. The “subtle difference” in my card and a 10 justifies a 400x increase when if you broke the cases there is a decent chance they could both wind up a “9” is a bit hard to swallow. However, the Jeter example is probably no more ridiculous than any other modern “10” hysteria. 1986 Fleer Basketball Johnny Moore is $4,000 in a 10 and $12 in an 8. There are 54 “rare” 10s compared to over a thousand 8s. So if I have a 10 and you have an 8, throwing in a 1939 Ted Williams rookie in let’s say a 5 and a 1939 Dimaggio in a 5 evens out the deal? That is the price difference because your Johnny Moore card has a tiny bit of wear on one corner that is “easily detectable” when you look at it under a magnifying glass?

That’s my definition of silly.
The artificial creation of a gem mint grade, and the set registry, were strokes of genius. How well PSA understood the egos of collectors with money. To you and to me, it's absurd, of course. Here is my inferior Jeter which cost $300 or maybe even less not all that long ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jetersp.jpg (74.6 KB, 123 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.