View Single Post
Old 09-16-2014, 12:35 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

There's a reasonable chance they went to their files and used the same photo to make another newspaper picture in 1995. Newspapers often went to their archives to get old images for anniversary of major event articles or famous person obituaries. When Babe Ruth died, the newspapers included images of him back in Yankees playing days. Maybe this newspaper had an article or book review about Robinson and needed a nice image of him in his hey day. That's exactly why they kept archives of their old photos and were careful to date and document the captions on back. I've seen original newspaper archives and the photos were carefully grouped in large manilla envelopes labelled by subject ('Greta Garbo,' '1950 World Series,' 'Vietnam War Battles,' 'Ty Cobb'), obviously so they could go back and retrieve images when needed. You could go into the archives, pick up an envelope labelled 'Babe Ruth' and it would be filed with original Babe Ruth photos.

It's also possible they were just re-cataloging, re-filing their archives, or sold their photos to an other organization, and the filing date was added at that time.

Below are the original photos that came out of a newspaper's 'Jack Dempsy' envelope.

Below is what came out of a 'Rogers Hornsby' envelope:

The Hindeburg:

'Joan Crawford':

When I authenticated and cataloged the photos for an auction, the auction house sent me boxes and boxes of original newspaper envelopes just as the newspaper had kept them filed. I would go through a envelope, labelled say 'Bela Lugosi' or 'Walter Johnson' on the outside, pick out several choice singles, then put the rest into one or two large groups. The above are some of the group lots. The lowest minimum bid the auction house ever used was $100, so the singles were particularly special, but the 'bulk lots' still contained loads of great singles. A group lot contained many photos worthy of being sold as singles, even in that auction, but an auction can have only so many Jean Harlow lots.

Just a few of the singles:

The Lugosi photo is particularly interesting in that it is a publicity photo for his Broadway stage version of Dracula, before he appeared in the movie and became a star. He was discovered by Hollywood when movie studio people saw him in the play.

The obviously very early Beatles photo sold for over $2,000.

Last edited by drcy; 09-16-2014 at 02:46 PM.