View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 06:28 AM
Steve Birmingham

The first "cards" from the 1800's I ever bought was a near set of racehorses - all apparently cut from a banner or album (I forget which, and don't recall if there was an album. )

While I know now that they're not exactly cards I still like them. It's sad that some one cut up a banner or album, but I'm fairly sure it was done a lot closer to when they were issued than when I bought them. Especially since at the time even a sort of beat banner would have been worth way more than the cutouts -I think I paid around $2-3 for the whole batch and the same for a smaller batch of actual cards from a different set of horses.

To me it's always slightly puzzling that the cutouts are less common than the cards, but worth far less. It makes sense going on desirability, but not on ---I need a better word than rarity, but can't think of it just now.

I'm also ok with the cutouts being slabbed, as long as the ID is correct. For my horse cards I'd think "poster cutout" slabbed as "A" would be appropriate if I ever wanted to bother. No point just now, as the slabbing would probably add less value than it would cost.

Steve B