Thread: R E Question
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 11:45 AM

It occurs to me that much of the contention reflected in this and similar threads is due to the 800-lb. gorilla that sits at the heart of vintage autograph collection and that receives only passing comment -- uncertainty. While one can be virtually certain of authenticity in certain cases due to circumstances and provenance, as to the majority of items collectors must rely on the opinions of experts, or become experts themselves. But, and this is key, experts frequently disagree with one another and at times make mistakes. So, it is inevitable that there will always be debates and arguments over conclusions.

What bothers me, though, are the personal attacks. I should think that collectors and experts both could engage in spirited discussion without resort to such tactics. While such threads at times make for entertaining reading, at the end of the day I find them to be destructive to both the Board and the hobby.

Mark

Last edited by mark evans; 05-02-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: 'with' changed to 'without'